While we love a good holiday weekend, this weekend we should take the time to remember what and why we are celebrating in the first place. Memorial Day is a day on which those who died in active military service are remembered. So on top of the great outdoor, summertime fun, may we suggest that you take some time to honor the men and women who serve our country? Here are just a few ideas and ways to honor those who have fought for our freedom and our great country:
- Put flags or flowers on the graves of men and women who served in wars.
- Fly the U.S. flag at half-staff until noon on Monday.
- Visit monuments dedicated to soldiers, sailors and marines.
- Participate in a National Moment of Remembrance at 3 p.m. local time.
- March in a parade – or just attend one.
Along with remembrance, there are lots of things going on in Tampa. Here are a few fun ways you can spend the long weekend:
- 4th Annual Tampa Margarita Festival: Spend the day sampling refreshing margaritas at the 4th annual Tampa bay Margarita Festival. With live music all day culminating in a performance from Blues Traveller and a fireworks show, this is going to be one great day!
- Tampa Brew Bus Tour: Throw back a few craft brews all while being chauffeured throughout St Pete, visiting local brewery’s, with Brew Bus USA.
- Rock the Yacht Starship Cruise: Dance the night away on the Rock the Yacht cruise, as it takes you around Tampa Bay to the sounds of some of the best local live bands.
- Memorial Day Pool Party at Aloft Hotel: Start the summer of with a classic pool party. Event features drink specials and free mimosas for ladies from 12-2pm (All proceeds go to Tampa Bay Navy League Of The United States)
Whatever ways you decide to celebrate, always remember DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE. Be a responsible American and take advantage of all the modes of transportation America has to offer! Here are a few companies that provide their services in order to make your holiday one to remember, for the better reasons, and not because you get stuck with a DUI (or worse).
Uber : www.uber.com
Lyft : www.lyft.com
Yellow Cab: yellowcaboftampa.com
Buster (for a group of 6 or more people): www.buster.com
Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend and if it involves drinking, please do so responsibly. God Bless America!