After being injured in any sort of accident, the next step towards receiving compensation can be unclear. When to seek representation and what timeline to adhere to can be overwhelming questions. The following steps may help guide you as you navigate such a challenging time.
- Seek medical treatment – It’s important to first and foremost seek any and all medical treatment necessary. Ensuring your own health and wellbeing should be taken care of before pursuing a legal cause of action.
- Collect evidence – This evidence should be able to point to the party at fault. This can come in the form of photographs, testimony by witnesses’ and even police or medical reports.
- Keep your records – Record everything that has happened since the accident. This should include medical bills, the dates of hospital visits, dates of any missed workdays if accident related, and contact information of any witnesses to the incident in question.
- Inform the at-fault party – Inform the at-fault party in writing that you plan to file a claim for injuries and/ or damages.
- Be vigilant – While resolving a personal injury case can be time consuming, it is important to start building a case as early as possible. Statutes of limitation vary from state to state, based upon the type of claim being filed. Be aware of the statute of limitations that applies to your case, and keep this in mind when seeking representation. Failure to file a claim before the time runs out could result in denial of compensation for your injuries and damages.
While these tips broadly outline necessary steps in a successful personal injury case, nothing can substitute for the insight and advice of a qualified attorney. If you find yourself injured or incur damages as a result of another’s negligence, do not hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer and begin building a case.